Differences Between Vinyl and Marine Vinyl
If you’re wondering what are the differences between vinyl fabric and marine vinyl fabric? or if there are any, well ….
Just as there are differences between a regular civilian and a marine, there are differences between standard vinyl fabric and marine vinyl fabric.
As I said before, almost every feature of standard vinyl and marine vinyl is similar except for some additional features. The ultraviolet radiations don’t change the color of the fabric. it also has antibacterial properties, that make it mold and mildew resistant even in moisture and humid environment. You can use both of these indoor as well as outdoor. These additional features don’t make marine vinyl superior to standard vinyl.
Do you want to know what exactly differentiates vinyl fabric from the marine vinyl fabric? You have come to the right place. Now, let’s dig in detail.
Did you know how Vinyl fabrics came into existence?
Vinyl fabric is an industrial material, used for versatile purposes. Marine vinyl fabric is a grade of vinyl fabric. The vinyl fabric was not created with a special unique formula in the beginning; it was manufactured by chance. There are just a handful of people who already know how the vinyl fabric came into existence; the majority has no idea.
In 1920, the scientist made this material by adding two substances, which is oil and salt. The electrolytic disassociation procedure is used along with cracking. The chlorine gas is used with ethylene. After the formation of vinyl resin, few more products are added to get the final result. The vinyl fabric is necessary to secure, upholstery fabric, marine vinyl fabric, and automotive vinyl. These are very affordable products, and the second most used humanmade plastic material in the world. The popularity of vinyl is increasing day by day.
What are the Significant Differences in Vinyl Fabric and Marine Vinyl Fabric?
- The main difference between vinyl fabric and the marine vinyl fabric is the ability to protect the color of fabric from sunlight and ultraviolet radiation. On the other hand, the vinyl fabric will change the color after some years.
- As compared to vinyl fabric, marine vinyl is more anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. In the marine environment, the mold and mildew affect any material in seconds. These anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties protect the fabric from getting affected by mold or mildew. There are different additives present in it. By increasing the number of additives, the anti-bacterial characteristics also improved.
- The vinyl fabric has water-resistant properties while the marine vinyl fabric is waterproof.
- The vinyl fabric is suitable for indoor as well as for outdoor purposes, for example, raincoat, umbrella, curtains. On the other hand, marine vinyl fabric is the perfect choice for the outdoor environment, such as boat cushions, awnings, outdoor carpeting, etc. because direct sunlight didn’t affect the quality of the material.
Which one is more durable?
Vinyl fabric is very durable if you want to use indoor as compared to any other fabric. In the marine environment, everything needs extra durability from the furniture to the flooring. It doesn’t matter which product is more durable; you have to invest in a good fabric from one of them. Every vinyl fabric works according to their specifications.
Why Marine Vinyl Fabric are Used for Boats?
Marine vinyl fabric is waterproof, which means it is impervious to water. The vinyl fabric is water-resistant, which means water can not pass through them easily, but still, there’s a chance of getting wet.
The water-resistant fabric is not right in the marine environment. Waterproof textiles are the best if you want to protect your boat from mold and mildew or any other damage. The marine vinyl fabric is most widely used all over the world in the marine environment because it is specially designed for that purpose. These are designed to protect or delay the fire. Vinyl fabrics are not a good choice for boats.
Different grades of vinyl
Before talking about different grades, let me clear that grades don’t define the quality of any material.
There are three main types of vinyl.
It is the part of non-baked vinyl fabric. Its appearance is very excellent because it is similar to leather. Its performance is also very excellent; it provides durability as well as comfort. You can handle this very easily because of elasticity. It is not very expensive, like leather, and you don’t have to change this every year.
The vinyl fabrics used for decorative purposes and transparent vinyl are also an example of non-expanded Vinyl Fabric. Decorative vinyl fabric is mostly used for outdoor furniture. Because it enhances the look and provides durability. The transparent vinyl fabric is also widely used for making water-repellent products such as a raincoat or umbrella.
Marine vinyl fabric is the part of expanded vinyl
Properties of vinyl fabric
- It is water-resistant
- It is the most versatile plastic which is used all over the world.
- It is stain-resistant, you can easily clean any type of dust.
- The price of vinyl fabric is very low as compared to other similar materials.
- It comes in different grades (marine vinyl fabric is also a part of different grades.)
- It is very lightweight
Properties of marine vinyl fabric
- Marine vinyl fabric is 100% waterproof.
- It protects from ultraviolet radiation.
- It is perfect for the marine environment.
- It is stain-resistant, you can clean this with a damp piece of cloth.
- The color will not fade with time.
- It is used for heavy-duty purpose.
- It is long-lasting.
- It can survive in a highly moist environment.
What is the price difference between vinyl fabric and
marine vinyl fabric?
Both of these are present in different price ranges. Both of them used for various purposes. The price of vinyl fabric is very low as compare to similar items such as leather, latex, etc. The marine vinyl fabric is a bit expensive, but if you consider the versatile and heavy-duty features, then it is not much.
Is there any disadvantage of using any vinyl fabric?
Nothing is perfect in the world, but as far as I know, there not many disadvantages of using vinyl fabric or marine vinyl fabric. According to one of the customer’s reviews, it is a bit slippery in some moist conditions.
Thanks for reading this and do take time to also read our reviews.
We explained every single detail about both of them as much as I can. In general, both are almost the same with just two extra features. If you think that marine vinyl fabric is expensive than vinyl fabric, then you can use standard vinyl. There’s not much difference. If you want a fabric for the interior of the house, standard vinyl is a perfect choice.